Thursday, December 13, 2007

Malaysians' Teh Tarek Conviction

Initially, the legal fraternity won support when they staged what was dubbed the Walk of Justice. Then, the public at large, tired of the rising costs and upset with the system, welcomed Bersih. Next Hindraf came along with specific demands for the Malaysian Indians. We read every item every opportunity we can on Malaysiakini to keep up with events, to the extent that today, the site got jammed up!

But as I said before, Malaysians are a complacent lot. Our conviction, our passion for any matter, lasts as long as that teh tarek session. Once that is over, tired out after all the debating, the passion soon sizzles.

It's expected. Once enough sleep is gotten, stomachs filled, most Malaysians will wake up realising, hey, it's not my fight anyway. I was there initially as, yes, at that time I believed in it, at that time I was all fired up, but I've done my bit. But that's it for now. I did my part, it's up to the others to go on. Or, yes at that time I went along, but, see, I thought it was only right that I did go along, less I be seen as one having no conviction or not willing to do anything to make things right.

But like any other Malaysian, like any other heated event flaring up every now and then, we get fired up, then within a short span of time, we sizzle and then the fire quickly dies, without even leaving any smoke. Those who still go on, eventually are thought as pests.

Why? Because eventually we get fed-up with the traffic jams caused by the demonstrations. Eventually we all get tired of hearing the same old story. Eventually we just want to get on with our lives. Don't fret. It's just the Malaysian way.

Now we are told businesses in KL are adversely affected by the marches, the demonstrations. As true Malaysians, we all believe that others can go on with doing what they like for all we care, for so long as they don't affect businesses, as long as they don't bother us.

But if we are going to be consistently caught in road blocks, traffic jams and so forth, eventually, we will get fed up with that very cause we initially identified with. The authorities will tell you they have to carry out such acts to maintain peace. You will end up cursing that if not for the marches, demonstrations etc, there would not have been any road blocks and you would not have been caught in that dreaded jam.

You will end up swearing, “Do what you people want, just don't cause traffic jams. Don't cause detours. I was that close to my destination and could have arrived at work on time until all that road blocks, until I was told to take a detour by the police, all because of you”.

And then, you begin to agree with the authorities. Enough is enough. Ok, we heard you already. March elsewhere. Shut up. Do something else. Whatever. Just not around here.

Been there? Don't worry. It's just us being Malaysians.

No comments: